The first 6 weeks of school for Lucy was full steam ahead. As in, she woke up before our alarm every morning, dressed quickly, giggled at breakfast, smiled as she left, and was happy at pick-up. In my head I thought, Dang, can't you miss us a little?
And then we hit a speed bump.
One random morning a few weeks ago her "belly hurt". So, I let her stay home and pampered her all day (thinking she had a little virus). There were popsicles and movies abound. Virus or not, I was pretty darn happy she was home with us for the day. By evening her belly was better and all three of them were wrestling with Daddy in the playroom.
The next morning it hurt again. Hmmm? I called the doctor and Lucy obliged to go saying she just wanted to feel better. The doctor said it was maybe intestinal blockage-- "just wait and see".
Long story short, her belly only hurt in the morning. I started asking questions. Are you nervous about your field trip? No. Are you ok with being star of the week? Uh-huh. Did something happen at school (because so help me...)? No. After I bombarded her with questions she said...
"I just miss you."
Ohh, like a dagger. I wanted to say, "Perfect, let's scrap this school thing. Get your shoes on and let's go outside." However, Momma Bear came out and we hugged and talked about being brave. I told her that maybe the newness of school had worn off. Or maybe her belly hurt because she was a little nervous and it was ok to feel that way. We layed in bed for some time until Papa Bear strolled in and gave the firm, "Lucy, let's go, get dressed, and get some breakfast." And, well, that was that. (Thank God for Dads!)
Although I know she misses her momma, her siblings, (dare I say) television, and playing for hours outside, I think this is all an accumulation of being tired and realizing that school isn't going to be fun every-single-day. It's work, but there are so many joys and rewards. She's already seeing all her hard work by reading books on her own. What a feat!
She's had a few good weeks and every day is better. I'm glad she's feeling fine now, but I do a little bit tiny eentsy weentsy hope that there's another sick day this year. :)


2 comments :
aaawww...Baby Bear looks really sad, and it's so hard to be Mama Bear. Then Papa Bear talks such a big bad talk when inside Papa Bears are soft-hearted, too, and have jello pudding hearts. Thank goodness Papa Bears can do the hard talking.
Lucy, some day I will tell you about the tummy aches your Papa Bear had when he was a little Baby Bear just starting school. :) We all love you, precious girl. You are SOMETHIN' SPECIAL!
Mimi
I literally smiled and had a big crocadile tear while reading this post.
I can only imagine how wonderful it was for you jacq to have lucy home and be her #1 all day long again. And then to hear the words that she missed you!.... oh my goodness.
Lucy is so sweet and loving and myyyyyy word is she sooo beautiful
Post a Comment