Monday, January 3, 2011

Hang Loose Green Socks

A little recap to remember this year's Christmas.

Royal Trailovbaums:

We listened to Christmas music T.H.E.E.E.E entire month of December...in the car, kitchen, and playroom. Lucy's favorite song was Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer and apparently she gave a favorite song to me, Rockin around the Christmas Tree. Several batches of cookies and White Christmas Mix were made after many comments from the Mr. that insinuated there were not enough sweets in our home.

Christmas socks and pajamas were a big thing this year. Everyone had to have them according to Miss 4. We spent hours searching for men's Christmas socks because apparently Daddy's blue Gold Toes weren't cutting it.
Lucy's gift to Daddy: women's size 8-10 green and red walmart socks: see 'em?

Christmas Eve was a rush of fantasticness all through my bones. Lucy worked on the gingerbread house while Emilia and Christian napped. Oh, the anticipation. Mass was packed as ever and I really look forward to the day (probably when i'm 90) when we can go to midnight Mass again. The last few years we've spent our days in the cry room full of babies and loud talking peeps. It's for the birds, but it's where we are. When we got home we fed the kids dinner and Michael read Twas the Night Before Christmas. I listened. The kids did not. It was a like trying to contain monkeys at a library. They were k-k-krazee. We put them to bed in Christmas pj's and I dorked it up this year and bought some for us too. I made a breakfast casserole for the morning and we opened a bottle of wine and had so much fun setting up the living room into a room for kids to smile and scream...

Morning of: we heard the girl's door open. I elbowed Michael and said, "She coming!" Much to my surprise he was wide awake and said, "I know!". Lucy said, "Daddy, can you go check to see if Santa came to our house?" So off he went to turn on the lights and check it out. We changed the two little skittles into fresh diapers and took a moment to remember what the day is all about. As we knelt I opened one eye to look over at Lucy and her face was squeezed as if she couldn't contain her excitement. Poor thing- those 3 minutes probably felt like 3 hours.
They had fun looking in their stocking and I KNEW what the big hit would be:
Sugar Cereal I totally felt like my parents that morning and it brought back the best memories of my childhood. My dad trying to make his coffee while all of us ran around screaming. Mom walking in with her open-mouth-shocked-look of what Santa brought us. She just couldn't believe he would do such a thing. And, yes, I did the same open-mouth-shocked-look and soaked up every teensy weensy second.
I spent most of the day cleaning up and packing for our trip to Nashville. We stayed in our pajamas until about 8pm and then changed into some fresh ones for bedtime. Michael got sick with a bad cold and our trip to Nashville was delayed few days due to the snow. Yes, the snow! I was sad that I missed seeing the Gray Crew at the convent this year, but we were still able to make the trip later in the week. I am always happy to be with my sister. The convent is one of the most special places on this earth.

We made it to Nashville and spent the week with Mimi and Deda. Nothing beats good food, good conversation, and lots of love and laughter. Mimi and Deda know how to do it up right. It's like the mecca of what a grandparents house should be. I love how the girls run from the sun room to the piano room and back and forth, back and forth. They love it there and so do I.

Thank you a million times over, Mimi and Deda. We especially loved movie night set up in Deda's office. Nothing beats watching old videos of Michael and Mary as kids. I think Lulu and Emilia loved watching their Daddy "hang loose." I was able to get a little clip on my camera.


Michael and I spent New Year's Eve shutting down a Mexican restaurant, which closed at 10pm. Rock stars. We talked about our New Year's resolutions and how we could better our souls in the coming year.
The ride home was the worst. Rain for 9 solid hours with little peaches (bad video, but enjoy the sound bite).

Now back to our regularly scheduled program called life.

4 comments :

Mimi said...

Love it, love it!
What Christmas fun at the house of Royal Trailovbaums in Charlotte!!

"Original Deda" is smiling down...he's in his shorts and Hawaaian shirt, his kukui beads and his flip flops just loving it that his great grandchildren are "hanging loose"!
You know how much we are missing the pitter-patter of those little feet running through the house. The silence hurts our ears and particularly our hearts!
Love you, Mimi

Happy Hollisters said...

So, there I was sitting and weeping at your post and then I played the last video. Dried those tears right up. hahahah. 9 hours? hahahah.

No, seriously, maybe it is the hormones or maybe the Christmas spirit is still in my soul; maybe I'm still mad at mother nature because she caused me to miss snuggles from my faves, including you and Michael; maybe it was the green grouch (hahaahah) or Michael's hang loosin'; or maybe I recognize what an amazing Christmas you had with your little ones, and I can't believe that I will have that (well, a third of it) so very soon. God bless you, Jacque Trailov, and your fabulous blog posts.

And now Mom's comment about OD. I have got to get a hold of myself.

Santa Keith will be in Charlotte soon bearing gifts from Auntie Mary and Uncle Keith. I won't make it so please take pictures of those faces and maybe a little video to capture the moment!!!

Love all 5 of you.

Lindsay Boever said...

Hi! Thanks for writing to us. I've read your blog also via Maria's blog. (She is married to my brother Andrew). Your family is just beautiful. I remember first hearing about your sister's twins and prayed so much for her. The other day, I found her name written in my prayer book. When I heard she was first pregnant with their new baby Maria, I cried for them because I was so happy. God bless You!

mimi said...

ok..so...oops, the grammar teacher misspelled "Hawaiian". I've been away too long from school. :O
And, Lucy and I just read Twas the Night Before Christmas (the Hawaiian version) last week!

Belated "Mele Kalikimaka" everyone.

Site Meter