Thursday, November 4, 2010

Oh, how I want to be in that number...

All Saints Day was Monday, so we celebrated with a party...and it wouldn't be a party without children...like 30 of them all dressed up as little saints. It was too cute! The point was for them to learn about a Catholic saint and to emulate that virtue. I hope we get to do this every year because I learned so much.

St. Lucy: (means "Light")
What I learned: She was courageous in standing up for her faith. She wore a crown of candles so she could have light to feed the poor in the dark neighborhoods.
Patron Saint of those with eye-trouble

Saint Lucy, you did not hide your light under a basket, but let it shine for the whole world, for all the centuries to see. We may not suffer torture in our lives the way you did, but we are still called to let the light of our Christianity illumine our daily lives. Please help us to have the courage to bring our Christianity into our work, our recreation, our relationships, our conversation -- every corner of our day. Amen

St. Juan Diego:
What I learned: Juan Diego was a simple and humble man- he cooperated with God's grace to bring Jesus and Mary to his people. He faced obstacles, yet showed commitment.

it's definitely ok to laugh...juan diego was mexican, so of course he sported a mustachio!

Blessed Mother Teresa: although she has not been canonized a saint, she was well worth my children learning about.
What I learned: Her love knew no bounds. She loved the poorest of the poor, the orphans, the alcoholics, the aging, and the unborn. One of my favorite quotes by Mother Teresa is, "How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers."

7 comments :

Robina said...

wonderful.

MH said...

I really, really heart Emilia's costume. You did a great job!

My two favorote Mother Teresa quotes:

"I'm a little pencil in the hand of a writing God, who is sending a love letter to the world." and...

"Each of them is Jesus in disguise."

Love!

Mimi said...

Thank you, Jacque, Lucy, Emilia, and Christian!!
I learned a lot from your lessons of the the saints!
Love you so much, little angels,
Mimi

Maria said...

NO....it's too much. I can't stand it...hahahhah hysterical!!! The moustache and little Mother Theresa - WOW!! That's awesome you guys celebrate all saints!

Mickey/Deda said...

Jacque:

I marvel at how you find the time to create an atmosphere of creativity, education, and ultimately fun for the children.

We will see y'all the first weekend in December.

Mickey/Deda

Gabriel and Anna said...

Oh my goodness!!!
I love mini Mother T!
What beautiful traditions you have with your kids!

Anonymous said...

So I'm a sponsor for my friend in RCIA. Tonight we talked about Juan Diego. I showed the priest and the class Christian:) just thought u should know. Fr mike thought it was awesome and hilarious.
<3 Melanie

Site Meter