Sunday, November 9, 2014

{with Thanksgiving} Day 9: time with a new momma

It feels like yesterday we brought Lulu home from the hospital.  Michael and I were a nervous wreck driving home and those newborn days lasted forever.  I thought I would never feel normal again.  Although I was on a total high after having her, no one could have prepared me for all the stuff...the nursing, baby acne, spit up, face scratches, crying, faint breathing, bathing, twisted car seat buckles, swings, rockers,--all of it was so NEW to us.  I read every page of What to Expect the First Year and Baby Wise.  A new baby...a first baby...can bring so much anxiety.  We just didn't want to mess up.  I don't regret reading any of those books or trying to do everything JUST right, but looking back it is comical the amount of overtime I put in.  Is it necessary to bathe the baby every day?  Or wear shoes at 5 months? Or wait until the clock struck 3 to feed her again?  No, but it helped me think I had it all down pat. ;)

My sweet cousin just had a baby and we had a wonderful visit today.  She is doing such a good job!  All of the same questions and fears came up that Michael and I had years ago.  It's a rite of passage for new moms and dads.  Soon enough these cloudy days of no sleep will pass and she'll wonder how she ever made it.  Those new momma days are brutal, but gosh if they aren't some of the most tender and glorious days of all.  




No comments :

Site Meter