Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Christmas 2013

On the last day of Christmas (January 6th :)) we took down all of the holiday artwork from school, unhooked the stockings, unwrapped the lights from the tree and gathered up the last of the decorations (except we always forget one thing-- this year it was the ugly Santa rug.)  I usually get the itch to put it all away and get the house back in order, but this year was different.  It was the first year in our new home.  I loved opening the boxes and decorating the mantel and all day/every day I burned a scented candle.  It seemed like I baked more this year than any other year, but maybe that's because I had more requests from the little ones.  It felt good to be settled.
There's always one knife licker.

~~
I did most of our gift shopping online so there wasn't a lot of running around here and there.  We spent every moment with family.  





~~
We went to a fancy brunch at Mimi's church and I'm pretty sure we have a lootttttt of things to work on in the etiquette department. 


Emilia: "Can I take the ones I don't eat home in my purse?"


~~
We walked around downtown Franklin for a bit and Santa started scratching his head when Christian clearly articulated that he wanted an ipad, iPhone, ipod, and a home computer for Christmas.


~~
We took a carriage ride and of course snuggling my little Bushka and watching my children look around was the absolute best part of my day.


~~
We hit up the mall for the obligatory "legit" Santa pic.  It was fast, furious, and a tad awkward when three kids run towards Santa and then the Mom says, "Can you hold the baby, too?" 
Somehow the kids suckered me in to getting the package with key chains??

~~
After the Mass on Christmas Eve all the excitement starts to rev up.  I love every single second of watching them.



~~
Christmas morning:

All Lucy asked for was a North Carolina sweat shirt.  



~~
The kids exchanged their (dollar store) gifts and Christian was adamant about getting Emilia dog balls.  He knew she would just love them.  In his head he would throw them and she would fetch...except  I'd say the gift wasn't a huge hit.  "Is this really for me?"  I think were the words I heard.

~~
We visited our grandparents...
Grays. Mayhem.  Always chaotic and great.


Trailovs.  Starting to resemble the Gray side and this was the best picture I could get.  Not sure why Emilia has the Michael Jackson grip on Mary. 

~~
We also visited our great grandmas.  We love to visit Gigi and this year we worked hard on our Christmas carols for her.  


My grandmother has severe Alzheimer's.  She doesn't talk, walk and most days doesn't move much.  I held Mary up to her and she gave us the faintest smile.  She gave birth to 15 babies in her younger years...isn't it amazing what a baby can do to the heart?

Lucia Farias Zuniga meet Mary Cecilia.

So, Christmas has come and gone and  I loved it all.  And as Mr. Carson from the Abby would say, "The business of life is the acquisition of memories. In the end, that's all there is."



1 comment :

Happy Hollisters said...

I love love love your blog and happenings with my sweet nieces and wild and crazy nephew.

Site Meter