Monday, February 20, 2012

Su Preciosa Vida...

Your precious life, my little Emilia, makes being a Mommy an amazing thing to be.

Do you know how my heart swells when I look at you? Do you know how many times I say to Daddy, "Look how precious she is." Your dark hair, plum cheeks, and chocolate eyes make me pinch myself some days.


It’s a good thing you are so cute because sometimes your strong will makes me crazy. You love jumping off couches, playing in the sink, changing outfits over and over, and sliding down steps on your belly at lightening speed just to make our days a little livelier.


However, you're not always a firecracker. Some of my favorite times of the day are when you wake up from your nap and you're pouty. You say, "Mommy, you hold me." You wrap your little legs around me so tight. Your body still warm from being under the covers and then I see you grin as we hop down the stairs. There are a few moments throughout the day when you sit intently listening to Mommy and Daddy talk or Lulu tell a story. I love watching you watch others.

I had not planned on including your birth story in this post, but since it's short I'll tell you here. First, here's a look when we found out you were a girl.

As we approached your due date, I had my weekly visit with the doctor and told him that I thought my water broke. Without going into too many details he sent me to the hospital to monitor the fluid around you and to see what was going on. Daddy and I called some friends to watch Lucy for a bit and they happily obliged to have her visit. I was monitored for a few hours and it showed that you were doing fine and I had enough fluid surrounding you to go home and let labor happen naturally. My water did not break, but there was a small tear in the amniotic sac....nothing to worry about. We went to pick up Lucy and she ran to me with excitement. As I picked her up, I really felt like my water broke...again (but I wasn't sure). When we got in the car I told your Dad what happened and both of us were confused and exhausted. See, even in utero you were driving me mad. :) We decided to go home and try and get some sleep. We tucked Lulu into bed and I had no trouble falling asleep. Around 1am I started to feel some strong, regular contractions. They started to get more intense and close enough that I thought we should get to the hospital. I woke Daddy up and he rushed Lucy over to our friends (again). Once we arrived at the hospital you came fast and furious. I was admitted around 2:30 and by 3:30 I was ready for an epidural. I always dread this part. I hold a rosary in one hand and your daddy’s hand in the other. Labor was fairly easy and you were here only after an hour of actual labor. You were born at 6:46am weighing in at 8.5oz. So, there it is. You were such a simple and beautiful delivery!


Emilia, February brings a mixed bag of emotions to me. EXACTLY one year before you were born, on February 13th, I miscarried our second baby. This month is also the due date (the 29th) of a sibling that will never be. These two miscarriages have been the worst spiritual and physical pain for me. My heart literally hurt to hear the words, “There is no heart beat now.” Now. With both babies I saw their heart beats and it was the second time I went to the doctor their hearts had stopped. Sometimes I think it would've been easier had I not seen the sweet flicker on the outdated screen. But no, it was meant to be. I wondered at those times if I’ll ever feel like me again. And, with time, I do. I breathe in this good life and move forward.

I love how your little hand is reaching for me.

Anyway, I type this for you to read one day and have comfort when you experience heart felt pain. It’s human nature for us to want to run from our sufferings--to find something or someone that will help us feel better. There's no doubt there are people that will encourage, support and love you during these times. Of course, your Dad and I will always be by your side, but I encourage you to say close to the heart of Christ during these times--the Sacraments will bring you peace. I promise you with all of my heart. The rosary will give you strength. The Eucharist will give you grace. Confession will heal your soul. Trust in His plans for you. There’s no doubt they are greater than your wildest dreams. He will bring you to a great place of joy. I’m not saying that because we trusted in His plan that we were given more children. No, that is not the case. I’m trying to convey that we cannot depend solely on family or friends or anything tangible in this world to bring us to a place of peace. It’s with Christ that authentic happiness lies. Even with this sadness, I can see the great joy and love that surrounds me, too. Your dad. Our faith. You children. Our home. Our life together and the memories we create in our home.

This month brings birthdays of some of my favorite people in the world. Your Grandaddy, Nana, Gigi, Daddy, and YOU were all born this month. You will soon learn that I love to celebrate our family birthdays. I love the preparation of your favorite meal, cake, balloons, special gifts, and homemade cards. I love reflecting over all the highs and lows of the past year.

It’s amazing to see how you've grown over a year’s time. My Big Baby girl- You are 3!

Your zest for life is infectious.



You are fearless and carefree.



You are silly and spontaneous.
You love to make others laugh. And when I am the recipient my day is complete.



You love to give compliments after compliments. "I like your earrings, Mommy. I like your eyebrows, Mommy. Mommy, you're cute. MMMM, your breaf smells minty."
You love to fix your own hair and organize your shoes.
You love 2 pink blankies.

You must pick out your own pj's. If I try to help the night is in shambles.
You love to dance and must have on a nightgown or a twirly skirt to do so.

Sometimes you like to lead.

Other times you follow.

You love snacks, not meals. Sometimes we call lunch and dinner a snack to appease you. Lip gloss, you and it are tight.

Firetrucks. You like the truck and the dudes that drive them.

Dress up, it’s kind of your thing.

You have the best of both worlds. An awesome big sister who is always watching out for you.
And a cute little bub that always wants to play.

You want nothing to do with the "kid" potty any longer.

You absolutely cannot wait to get a whole vitamin and not a half a vitamin. One more year.


You proved mommy wrong and made it through your recital.

Some days you want to be the baby.

Some days you don’t

I get tickled how athletic and coordinated you are for your age.



You have no idea how to speak softly. Everything to you should be at the loudest decibel possible.


At some point last year we ditched your paci (and Christians). I hid them and they never returned. Thank goodness, I loathe those things.


Daddy took you on your first golf outing!

You won't remember a lick of your second year, but your Dad and I will treasure these days forever. We'll look back on these pictures and wish you were 2 again. We'll wish you were running around with pigtails and screaming, "Dat not fair!" I love you, Emilia. I love you to the heavens and back. Happy third birthday!

6 comments :

Happy Hollisters said...

You make me gush, Jacque. Such beautiful heartfelt words in honor of such a beautiful little lady! Extra love to you this month always. My prayers have been with you all the days thus far and all the days to come. Tons of lil' girl lovin' to a special little birthday girl. All my hugs around to some of my fave Trailovs. Miss you guys terribly.

Robina said...

so sweet. what a precious and precocious little soul.

Anonymous said...

Emilia, You are a precious little angel. I love you so much.
Happy 3rd Birthday!
Love, Mimi

Klare Family said...

(gulp) such a whirlwind of emotions when i read this. i love that little "milia" so much. I have such a huge place for her in my heart. Jacque, you are an amazing mother and captured Emilia's beautiful 3 years of life perfectly. Happy birthday Emilia!

MH said...

Happy Birthday, 'milia! Thanks for being such a sweet friend to my boys and for making me SMILE every time I see you.

And Jacque, your family and friends (especially yours truly!)are blessed to see your example of motherhood - your selflessness, patience, faith, and constant seeking and humble acceptance of God's Will. I know your precious babies in heaven know and feel your love as well. Thank you for being YOU! Love!

Anonymous said...

Emilia -

Your mom is a very good writer - among the many talents she possesses - and she got me teary eyed on a Monday afternoon reading your birthday blog. These words and pictures have brought back three wonderful years and excites me for what is next in your amazing life. You are a treasure to our family and your love brightens our home.

Daddy loves you and I will always be by your side and with your heart for anything you need.

Love, Daddy

Site Meter