Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hello My Old Kentucky Home.

We spent 18 hours in the car a few weeks ago (without Michael!). I was giddy to see my family, so the trip was well worth it. I listened to the Barney movie play continuously. I love you. You love me. Everyone was feeling the love for Pete's sake. We made an overnight pit stop at Aunt Jess and Uncle Ty's house. Thanks guys! It's a wonderful feeling to look in my rear view mirror and see two little girls buckled in and all snug with sleepy eyes and blankeys. Christian had the great privilege of looking at a tan leather seat the entire way. Bor-ing. He didn't make a peep until we were 40 minutes from home and then he wailed...I can't blame him though.

I've said this a billion times and I'll say it again and again... but the best gifts my parents gave me are my siblings.
Jess and Mia

Mia and Luci

Gina and my sweet SIL, Ang
...and here are some reasons why I love them so...

A certain 9 month expecting sister painted all the little girls toes. So selfless- shouldn't we have painted her toes?


My baby sister gave me a "bang braid". We thought about giving Christian one too.
Airplane rides. Watching your brother teach your girl to color.

Letting cousins sleep in the same bed. (I cherish these memories with my cousin Heather) I wonder what they talked about. Lucy came home saying "totally" and "nu-uh."Nana's birthday was the reason for our trip. What a fun celebration it was! The little skittles put on a show in their leotards...they sang and danced. It was such a sight!
Later in the evening we played the game How well do you know Mom? 20 questions were asked about Mom and I guess Jess and Mia know her best? Apparently I was covering my paper for no good reason. The best question was, "What does Mom do when she's upset?" We all acted it out. No words are even necessary...just facial expression. It was a riot.

After a good hour of laughs we kept playing the same game, How well do you know Mia and How well do you know Gabe? We had a ball and I am so grateful for those moments. I'm also grateful for our wonderful girls' dinner with Mom on Saturday night. What a treat! Happy 60th Mom!
One of my favorite parts of the weekend was watching my Dad hold Christian at Mass. He's so good with babies (he's had a little practice with 9 of his own:)) and I could tell he's missed one in his arms. I watched from afar while I held Emilia in the back, and I could tell my dad wasn't paying attention. He kept playing with Christian. He'd make a silly face, tickle his chin, and let C suck on his cheek (kinda gross, but Dad thought it was funny). I saw my Mom look at him a few times and motion give-me-the-baby, but Dad would look away as if he didn't see her. They are silly.

Packing up the last of the sippy cups, pacis, and cell phone charger is always painful. I can feel the tears boiling somewhere deep down and my nose tingle until I have to say good-bye. I let it all out when Mom and I hug and her usual response, "Can't you move closer?" And my usual response while wiping my face and rolling my eyes..."Moooom, why can't you move closer to me?!" And then we laugh and know God has us exactly where he wants us.

Moms are the coolest. Cheers to an awesome weekend.

6 comments :

Susan said...

Happy Birthday, to your Mom!
I thank God for her and for her children; they are all so special! And, of course, there is one of her girls for whom we are especially thankful since she loves our son and has given us three angel grandbabies!
I loved reading about your weekend with your wonderful family, Jacque.
God bless the Grays!
Susan

Annaka said...

Good grief Jacque, now you got me crying and wishing June (the next time I get to go home) was here already! I feel your pain of being so far away from family, and your joy of having siblings! Plus, you are AWESOME to do that drive alone w/3 little ones! So happy that you had a fantastic time with your family! You know, it's only about 16 hours to come to STL?? (I think) LOL!!

Robina said...

so sweet. I adore your love for your family. and I'm secretly jealous of you getting to have so many siblings.

Klare Family said...

Jacq...
I am blessed to call my sisters my best friends. I never laugh harder or as much like I do when I have all you girls around me.
mom did a great job huh??
I love her with all my heart, and love you!

Melanie said...

I just love the grays.

Jessica & Clif Barnes said...

Sounds amazing! You are one brave momma...I haven't ventured out on a car trip with all of three of them yet but am planning on in March. Siblings are the best and I love reading about your wonderful family! Y'all are quite amazing....I hate that Michael had to miss it but someone has to work, right?! God is good!!

Site Meter